Good Evening everyone! I hope you are enjoying this hot weather we are getting right in the middle of the summer! One of the things that we can look forward to in the summer months (as an adult and as a kid) is attending parties: family barbecues, 4th of July celebrations, birthday parties, pool parties, the fun never ends! But what if you really want to have your party stand out and come up with a fun theme? Well, here are a few of the most popular themes that you may want to consider using as well as ideas for food, activities, and decorations for each theme:
- Food: Goldfish crackers, swedish fish, mermaid juice (punch colored blue), crab sandwiches, starfish-shaped sandwiches, watermelon shark
- Activities: jellyfish jump, deep sea relay races, turtle races (slowest one wins), water pinata with garbage bag filled with water and prizes, pin the tentacle on the octopus, Fish Fish Shark (instead of Duck, Duck, Goose)
- Decorations: Hanging jellyfish streamers, netting with starfish and shells as a backdrop, blue streamers covering the ceiling so you’re under water, green streamers hanging in a doorway like seaweed; don’t forget to include all of the sea creatures: star fish, whales, sharks, mermaids, jellyfish, sea turtles, octopus
Pirate Party – Talk like a pirate during the party using actual pirate phrases like Ahoy Matey, Arrr, Blow Me Down, and Batten Down the Hatches!
- Food: Hot dog ships, octopus hot dogs, parrot legs (chicken drumsticks), fish ‘n chips, sea water or ocean water punch, watermelon pirate ship, vanilla wafers decorated as gold coins, sand pudding, sea shell pasta, seaweed dip (spinach dip)
- Activities: walk the plank across the wading pool, treasure hunt with treasure map, watch a pirate movie
- Decorations: eye patches, gold coin chocolates, treasure chest, pirate hates, swords (blow up or wooden), rocks spray painted gold as treasure, scrolls tied as invitations, and don’t forget the sea monsters!
Ice Cream Social Party – This type of party keeps the menu simple as far as variety of foods, but you can go all-out on the possibilities and keep it super-fun! And don’t forget the option of root beer floats!!
- Food – Novelty Ice Cream Party: ice cream sandwiches, drumsticks, dreamsicles, strawberry shortcake pops, chocolate cruchy pops, rocket pops, klondike bars, chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches
- Food – Ice Cream Bar Party: Sugar cones, waffle cones, waffle bowls, multiple flavors of ice cream: vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, butter pecan, rocky road, mint chip, frozen yogurt and non-dairy options are just a few ideas; Sauces: hot fudge, caramel, butterscotch, strawberry; Toppings: chocolate sprinkles, rainbow sprinkles, whipped cream, shredded coconut, maraschino cherries, walnuts in syrup, chopped almonds, peanuts, chopped candy bars (variety), chopped cookies (variety), fresh fruit, granola
- Decorations: Glass sundae dishes, squeeze bottles to hold the sauces and keep them warm in a crock pot standing up
Rainbow Art Party – For your creative side, have fun with color and keep everyone active!
- Food: Fruit platters, colored yogurt dips for fruit, rainbow sprinkle cake, colored rice krispy treats, rainbow layered cake, fruit kabobs, decorate your cupcakes with different colored frosting, DIY pixie sticks with colored sugar and straws
- Activities: Painting, sand art, coloring with crayons and markers, puffy paint, tie dye T-Shirts, silly yard trail with colorful yard, guess the skittles in the jar (layer in colors),
- Decorations: keep it colorful with napkins, silverware, cups, and plates, flowers, balloons, and rainbow banners
Bubble Party – This one is just plain fun! You can use inspiration from some of the other party themes for decorations and food and incorporate these bubble-specific ideas into the party too!
- Food: Blow pops, bubble gum balls, soda or chocolate milk with straws to blow bubbles
- Activities: Bubble guns, bubble machine, giant bubble wands, edible bubbles, colored bubbles, bubbles that bounce, bubble gum blowing contest (largest bubble wins), balloon badminton with paper plate and paint stirrer rackets
- Food: iced tea and lemonade (flavored or plain), finger sandwiches, fruit platter, cookies, cupcakes, pastries, dirt cake or cups with gummy worms
- Activities: May pole dance (you can use a tree or regular pole and streamers), pin the ladybug on the flower, watering can race – don’t spill any!, paint dragonflies.
- Decorations: Flowers, candles, tablecloths, place cards, lantern lights or string lights in trees, teacups, candy necklaces, ring pops
Luau Party – Aloha! Have fun with this summer theme that is always fun no matter how many times you have it!
- Food: fruit kabobs, grilled chicken, watermelon tiki, hawaiian punch (make your own punch), veggie kabobs, grilled pineapple, teriyaki chicken or pork pulled sandwiches, veggies and dip
- Activities: limbo, hula dance competition, flamingo ring toss
- Decorations: inflatable palm trees, leis hawaiian shirts, grass skirts, colorful straws with silk flowers, tiki, mini umbrellas for drinks or cupcakes, coconuts
- Food: popcorn, peanuts, hot dogs, corn dogs, funnel cake, cotton candy, watermelon, candy necklaces, root beer floats, candy or caramel apples
- Activities: balloon pop, water gun sharp-shooter contest, juggling, face painting (*TIP: clean brushes between each person for hygiene*), penny toss
- Decorations: hay bales, clowns, carnival tents, balloon hats, tickets for admission as invitations, hand stamps for admission to the party
I hope this gave you some inspiration for your next summer party! Have some more great ideas? Share them here so everyone can enjoy!!
Want your children to read more?
Download your free copy of "10 Ways To Get Your Child To Read More"