Good Morning everyone! I hope you are enjoying October so far. I know that some of you might be starting to decorate for fall, and some of you have been ready for months! I thought it might be a good idea to talk about some great craft ideas for fall that the family can have fun making. Whether it’s helping the kids make crafts or something you’ll do on your own, I hope you enjoy these great ideas!
- Carving/Decorating Pumpkins – Whether you’re a fan of carving faces into your pumpkins or would rather avoid the mess and just decorate or paint them instead, fall just wouldn’t be the same without completing this time-honored tradition!
- Hand Tracing Turkeys – this is a favorite from my early childhood. Construction paper, a paper plate, glue sticks, and maybe even some googly eyes to finish Mr. Turkey off right!
- Leaf Rubbings – another favorite from childhood, who didn’t love to use crayons to make leaf rubbings?
- Paper Plate Leaf Wreath – This is such a colorful way to decorate for fall! A paper plate, colorful leaves, and glue sticks are all you need.
- Colored Leaf Autumn Banner – You can use this over a mantle, a doorway, or on a stair railing to decorate for fall. Take construction paper, colorful leaves, string or yarn, and glue sticks and make a fun banner!
- Felt Bookmarks – For all of you who have children who love to read, they’ll use this craft idea for months to come! Take a popsicle stick, glue sticks, and colored felt pieces and cut out shapes: leaf, pumpkin, etc. This craft idea is sure to make reading fun again!
- Popsicle Stick Scarecrow – This is a new idea I just found. Take popsicle sticks and glue them together side-by-side to make the face, then take construction paper to make a hat, eyes, nose, and mouth. Add some yarn or straw for hair and your scarecrow is complete!
- Pipe Cleaner Pumpkins or Maize Corn – You can use pipe cleaners twisted into shape or be even more adventurous and add some colored beads on the pipe cleaners to add some dimension!
- Coffee Filter Leaf Suncatchers – cut leaf shapes out of coffee filters, then use watercolor paint to make your colorful leaves. Let dry completely and hang in windows for beautiful suncatchers!
- Toilet Paper Roll Leaf Stamping Tree – Using construction paper, paint a tree trunk and branches on it. Then, take pieces of toilet paper rolls (about 2-3 inches long for easy handling) and form them into an oval or leaf shape. Dip one end in paint and stamp the leaf shapes all over the tree branches to decorate your fall tree. Don’t forget to use several colors for the most vibrant trees!
- Paper Plate Turkey – Another great throwback to my early childhood here! Paint a paper plate to make it the body of the turkey, then cut strips of construction paper and glue them to the top of the plate as his feathers. Don’t forget to put your turkey’s face on it to give him some personality!
- Toilet Paper Roll Bat – Another great use for an empty toilet paper roll! Take the roll and fold the ends in to make them be curves with 2 points. Then paint the roll black. Next, cut out black wings from construction paper and tape or glue them to the toilet paper roll. Don’t forget to paint or glue eyes onto your bat!
- Fall Lantern – Take a lantern and fill it with mini pumpkins, gourds, and pine cones for a quick, decorative fall look.
- Cinnamon Stick Candle Decoration – This one is a simple, quick fall craft everyone will love! Take a small candle and tie cinnamon sticks around the candle with twine. (Tip: choose a candle that is taller than the cinnamon sticks to prevent any issues with them catching fire, and be careful if the candle burns below the cinnamon sticks as well)
- Duct Hose Pumpkins – These are fun and very colorful! Take ducting hose (can be found at Walmart or most hardware stores), wrap them around to make a pumpkin shape and paint them orange or white. Then use cinnamon sticks as the stump on top and you’re done!
- Gourd Tea Light Holders – These look great grouped together as part of a centerpiece or standing alone! Take a gourd and carve out a spot the size of a tea light on top, then insert a tea light and enjoy!
- Candle Centerpiece with Candy Corns – This one is perfect for Halloween as well. Take a glass candle holder (like a hurricane vase size), pour candy corns in and place a pillar candle in the middle.
- Fall Scents – Who doesn’t love when the house smells like baking for fall? Here are 2 ways you can get the same effect in your home: in the wax burner- combine cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and coconut oil and heat; in a pot on the stove- combine cinnamon sticks, orange rind, cloves, and bay leaves with water and simmer.
- Lawn Ghosts – I’m giving this one a try this year! Take a wooden dowel and insert it into the ground. Then put a foam ball on top of the dowel. Cover the ball with a white sheet (you can insert a straight pin or two to keep the sheet from coming off in the wind). Finally, you can use ground stakes and fishing line to position the sheet like the ghost is floating, or place the ghosts in a circle and use string to tie their sheets together like they’re holding hands as they float in a circle.
- Cinnamon Pine Cones – I don’t know about you guys, but I just LOVE the smell of cinnamon pine cones! Here’s the steps to make your own: 1) place pine cones on a cookie sheet and heat in oven at 200 degrees for an hour to open them up; 2) place pine cones in a large zip lock bag; 3) mix cinnamon essential oil and water in a spray bottle and shake the bottle well; 4) spray the pine cones thoroughly in the bag, 5) seal the bag and shake the bag well to coat the pine cones; 6) spray pine cones a second time; 7) seal the bag and shake the bag again. 7) allow pine cones to dry, and enjoy!
I’d love to hear some of your favorite fall craft ideas so please comment with your craft ideas! And don’t forget to share this post so everyone can have some wonderful fall crafts ready in their homes this year! Happy Fall everybody!!
Sign up and get your free copy of Fast and Easy Spring Cleaning Ideas today!
Subscribe to my email list and get a free copy of my Fast and Easy Spring Cleaning Ideas!