Good Morning everyone! I hope you are getting to enjoy the summer and are planning fun activities for your family time! I know it can’t all be fun and games though, since we still have to maintain our homes, and that cleaning can get in the way of having summer fun. That’s why I thought this would be the perfect time to write about organizing the garage this week.
*This post includes affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.*
I know, this definitely is NOT something that you want to think about, let alone start doing! It can seem like such a daunting task, and we already know it isn’t going to be fun by any stretch of the imagination. That’s why I wanted to provide you with these great tips and tricks for making this easier. I hope these help to make your time organizing the garage go smoothly and be less-stressful – and maybe even help to cut back on how much you have to work on organizing your garage in the future!
- Utilize a hanging rack for rakes, shovels, and other long gardening tools to help keep them out of the way. Check out these great tool racks.
- Use a storage box in your garage or out on your deck for keeping trowels, gloves, and other gardening tools and supplies clean, together, and out of the way.
- Try using space saver bags to store your outdoor cushions and pillows to help keep clean and dry.
- Adding shelves will give you a place to keep all of your boxes, bags, and items off of the floor and organized, which will in turn keep your garage clutter-free. You can find some great plastic shelving options that won’t break the bank.
- Consider making one of these ceiling storage rack and using plastic bins to store items you don’t use that often: (shared from familyhandyman.com and iamhardware.com)
- Make a tool pegboard to store all of your tools out of the way and in an organized fashion and you’ll never search for that tool you need again! (shared from remodelandolacasa.com).
- Turn empty jars into storage containers for nails, screws, and all of the other small items you collect in your garage.
- Use magnetic strips to hold small items you want to have easily accessible.
- Go through old paint cans to see what can be thrown away. (**Tip: save the top of the paint can with the color description if it is a color you are still using in your home. This way, you can match the paint if you need to do any touch ups in the future**)
- Add cabinets to store items out of the way and keep the garage looking neat and organized. You can reuse old cabinets you have removed or try to find reasonable ones at yard sales and flea markets. One other great place to look for cheaper cabinets is the Habitat for Humanity Restore.
- Keep your sports equipment together and organized using one of these Sports Equipment Racks. Not only will you be able to find things right when you need them, but it’ll keep your garage neat and tidy.
- If your garage isn’t finished, utilize the studs for storage. Create shelves in between the studs, or attach shelving brackets to the studs to cut down on cost while adding function. Place nails or hooks into the studs to hang items out of the way.
- Use bungie cords to keep ladders closed and store them along the wall or overhead using hooks.
- Make a rack to store your fishing poles and gear. Check out these storage rack ideas from Pinterest.
- Add a table or workbench in your garage. This will allow you to store items under the table as well as on top of it, doubling the storage in the space!
I hope these tips for organizing your garage helped get you excited about this chore and you are ready to go tackle this project now! I’d love to hear what other organizing tips and ideas you have used and liked, so please comment below to share yours with us today! And don’t forget to share this post on your social media sites so your friends and family can use these tips and ideas too!!
Sign up and get your free copy of Fast and Easy Spring Cleaning Ideas today!
Subscribe to my email list and get a free copy of my Fast and Easy Spring Cleaning Ideas!