Good Morning everyone! Can you believe August has already begun? It feels like summer just slips away from us each year and is gone faster than ever! I don’t know about you, but I like to try to plan something fun to celebrate the end of summer before it disappears and we are back to colder temperatures and shorter days. That’s why I wanted to share today’s post with you so you can plan your end of summer celebration now.
Don’t let summer get away without planning something memorable to do with your family! One way you can celebrate summer is by pushing hard to finish off your Summer Bucket List. (Don’t have a Summer Bucket List? Check out my Top 100 Summer Bucket List Ideas for the Family blog post for some great summer activity ideas!)
Besides your summer bucket list, I wanted to share a list of my 25 favorite activities to celebrate the end of summer so that you can make lasting memories with your family and friends!
25 Favorite End of Summer Activities:
- Visit a local farmer’s market- Pick fresh fruits and veggies and let the kids help you prepare them for a delicious, healthy dinner that night.
- Take a nature walk- Strolling through the park or on a path and checking out all of the plants and animals you encounter will inspire a love of nature in your children that will stay with them throughout their life.
- Watch a movie under the stars- You can watch a movie outdoors by either visiting a drive-in movie theater, checking out your local park for their outdoor movie schedule, or you can even host an outdoor movie night at your home!
- Have a spa day- You don’t have to go bankrupt having spa treatments in order to enjoy this fun activity. Plan an at-home spa day! Give each other manicures and pedicures or enjoy a homemade face mask and sugar scrub. Check out these DIY sugar scrub recipes (shared from midwestmodermomma.com) and these DIY face mask recipes (shared from theindianspot.com).
- Catch fireflies- Not only will your kids have fun with this one, but you’ll be transported back to your childhood with this fun activity!
- Attend a concert- Search for summer music programs or concerts in your area and enjoy relaxing to the sounds of the summer.
- Take in a balloon festival- This is the perfect time to find a hot air balloon festival close to you! With vibrant colors and fun patterns you’ll enjoy watching the balloons fill up and take off as they drift slowly over the night sky.
- Sleep under the stars- Pitch a tent in your backyard and have a night of camping. You can even roast some marshmallows over a fire (or in the oven) while still having access to a comfy bathroom.
- Relax outdoors- You don’t have to spend any money at all to enjoy these final days of summer. Pick the perfect spot to relax – a hammock, porch swing, or lawn chair will do – and bring a book or magazine and a cold drink to laze the day away.
- Take a bike ride- Get one final bike ride in as a family as the temperatures get cooler.
- Visit the county fair- Ride some rides, play some games, eat some food, and enjoy a fun day at your local county fair.
- Make ice cream sundaes- Choose a few favorite flavors and some yummy toppings and let everyone make their own delicious creation to savor the taste of summer.
- Take a day trip- You can visit a museum, a park, or maybe the local beach or lake and have a fun day together.
- Visit an amusement park- Look for those end of summer discounts and enjoy one final hoorah as summer comes to a close.
- Eat outdoors- Whether you take your dinner onto the back deck or you pack a picnic lunch, food always tastes better when we enjoy it in nature!
- Pick fresh fruit- Find an orchard near you and pick your own summer fruit: raspberries, cherries, blueberries, peaches, blackberries, and apples are all great choices! You can even take it one step further and make your own jams or jellies and can them if you’d like.
- Go fishing- This one is a great way to spend some quiet time together. Grab your pole and a bucket of worms and you’re all set!
- Take a horseback ride- This one’s a little more adventurous, but who doesn’t love riding on one of these powerful animals?
- Play in the water- Whether you choose paddle boarding, kayaking, tubing, canoeing, or rafting as your water adventure activity, your family will have a blast!
- Make a fire- Light your fire pit and sit around it telling stories of your favorite summer memories.
- Build an indoor fort- The kids will LOVE this one! You can use blankets and furniture you already have and have hours of fun together.
- Bake treats- Find a fun summer recipe and bake it together as a family – then you get to enjoy it later that day! Try incorporating some of that delicious summer fruit you picked to make it extra special.
- Watch a sunrise and sunset- Plan to enjoy a beautiful sight as the sun makes its way across the sky! Enjoy both in one day, or watch a sunrise one day and a sunset another day to make the beauty last longer.
- Make popsicles- This is one activity we used to do a lot when I was a kid, but these days it’s a little rarer to hear of. Check out these great Popsicle recipes (shared from onelittleproject.com).
- Host a barbecue- Plan a day to have your friends and family over to celebrate the end of summer together. You can even check out my blog post Planning the Perfect BBQ for great tips and tricks to make it stress-free.
Like what you’re reading? Subscribe to my blog at the top of the page on the right side to receive the most up to date posts and information.
Even if you’re not ready for summer to be over yet, I know you’ll enjoy trying these fun summer activities to bid it a proper farewell! Do you have a favorite end of summer activity you like to do? Comment below to share your ideas with us so everyone can enjoy it as well. And don’t forget to share this blog post on your social media sites so your friends and family can enjoy these great end of summer celebration ideas!
Want your children to read more?
Download your free copy of "10 Ways To Get Your Child To Read More"