Good Morning everyone! I hope you are gearing up for cooler weather and loads of fun as we transition from the hot days of summer into autumn. I thought it might be fun to share some fun ways you can celebrate my favorite season before those colder, blustery days start to creep up on us. Here are just a few of my favorite Autumn Activities I like to make sure we do each year:
- Visit a pumpkin patch and Corn Maze– One of our local favorites is Orr’s Farm Market near Martinsburg, WV
- Photos of Leaf Pile Jumping– My family always take pictures as my nieces and nephew jump in piles of leaves
- Attend local High School or College Football Games– Show your school spirit and support your local football team
- Carving/Decorating Pumpkins– I always enjoy the IDEA of carving a pumpkin…until I’m forearm deep in the inside of the pumpkin! This year I’m going to try to make wooden Jack ‘O Lantern pieces and see how they look on the pumpkins
- Decorating front door or porch for fall– Some of the decorations I like to use on my front porch arehay bales, mums, pumpkins, and gourds
- Decorating for Halloween– Do you go all out for Halloween? This year I’m going to try to make the sheet ghost figures for our yard
- Sleeping with the windows open– Even if I wind up covering up with a blanket I just LOVE to be able to sleep with the windows open and breathe in the fresh air after being cooped up in the A/C all summer!
- Go for a hayride– Check out your local farmer’s markets and church events for hayrides
- Pick apples– Find a local orchard near you and go pick your own apples.
- Make fall crafts – Make a new fall centerpiece, do some leaf rubbings, make a few pine cone birdseed ornaments to hang in the yard
- Attend a local fall festival– My mom and sister go to Colorfest in Thurmont, Maryland every year! Search for local festivals and craft fairs
- Build a bonfire and roast marshmallows– Yes, you can do this in the fall just like you do in the summer
- Baking for Thanksgiving and Christmas– Pumpkin and apple pies, Christmas cookies, sweet potato casserole…what are your favorite dishes?
- Hike a trail– We enjoy walking on the C&O Canal in Maryland along the river. Find a new trail to hike in your area!
- Drive around to see the foliage– Enjoy the cool breeze through cracked windows as you drive around on back roads and enjoy the beauty of the season all around you!
- Start making soup– I love to make a huge put of chili when it gets cooler! This year I’m looking forward to trying a new recipe for butternut squash soup.
- Pull out your favorite sweater and boots– I’m not a big sweater person because I always get too hot, but I love my favorite boots!! Can’t wait to wear them all the time again!
- Change the candles over to fall scents-What are your favorite fall scents? Some of mine are: pumpkin, toasted marshmallow, peppermint, and sugar cookies
- Canning-I love to can applesauce or apple butter in the fall. This year we’re going to try to can tomato sauce and green beans too.
- Visit a haunted house-Okay, so I’m a big wimp and this isn’t one I enjoy as much as some in my family. But I know a lot of people enjoy visiting a local haunted house and having fun walking through to see what surprises it holds!
I’d love to hear some of your fall activities too, so please comment on the post so we can all expand our Fall Bucket List for years to come!! Don’t forget to share this post to encourage friends and family to choose their favorite Fall Activities too!
Want your children to read more?
Download your free copy of "10 Ways To Get Your Child To Read More"